Media Releases

RAA welcomes great news for motorists and state’s economy

Monday, 1st Apr 2019

RAA welcomes the Federal Government’s $1.5 billion pledge to complete the North-South Corridor announced today.

This funding - which follows the $1.2 billion commitment in last year’s budget - ensures the completion of this key infrastructure project regardless of which party wins the next federal election, providing a major boost for motorists and the state’s economy.

The new commitment in tomorrow night’s budget follows RAA’s renewed calls for the completion of the two remaining critical sections of the corridor between Darlington and Anzac Highway, and between Anzac Highway and the River Torrens, by the next federal government.

As the state’s leading mobility organisation, RAA has been lobbying for a non-stop link between Gawler and Noarlunga, which was a government promise to South Australians back in 2014.

RAA’s General Manager Government & Public Policy Jayne Flaherty said finishing the North-South Corridor will enable South Australia to realise the full benefit of nearly $5 billion already invested in the motorway and unlock the state’s true economic potential.

“RAA represents the interests of more than 730,000 South Australians, and completing the non-stop North-South Corridor is the most important federal road infrastructure project in South Australia, according to a recent survey of RAA members,’’ she said.

“RAA had already secured commitments from both major parties to fund the completion of Adelaide’s North-South Corridor, but today’s announcement of a further $1.5 billion investment in this crucial transport project is great news for South Australia.”

The completion of the North-South Corridor is forecast to save a combined 40 minutes of travel time during morning and afternoon peak periods between Ashwin Parade and Tonsley Boulevard.

According to RAA, investing in the North-South Corridor will have flow-on benefits, including major reductions in traffic congestion on some of the state’s key routes, such as Port Wakefield Road, Main North Road and Marion Road.

“While reducing congestion is important, safety is the key reason why this key corridor is one of RAA’s federal election priorities,” Ms Flaherty said.

“Tragically, in the five years from 2013-2017, there have been 385 casualty crashes on the 10.5km stretch of road between the River Torrens and Quinlan Avenue.

“The existing roadway is woefully inadequate for the growing volume of traffic projected to use it in the future, so RAA is delighted by today’s pre-budget funding commitment.’’ 

 

Search Media Releases